Manchester terror: knife attack suspect detained under Mental Health Act

The suspect in the stabbings at Manchester Victoria Station on New Year’s Eve has been detained under the Mental Health Act, police said.

Police said the 25-year-old man arrested over the stabbings has been detained under the Mental Health Act on Tuesday evening after being  assessed by medical staff.

This comes after a police sergeant stabbed in the incident was praised for showing “incredible bravery” to prevent a suspected terrorist from rampaging through a train station just yards from the scene of the Manchester Arena suicide bombing.

A couple in their 50s were seriously injured in the “frenzied” and “random” New Year’s Eve attack on a platform at Manchester Victoria Metrolink station.

The police officer, who is in his 30s, was also wounded as he and three colleagues rushed to the scene after hearing “a blood curdling scream”.

Police said that a terrorism investigation into the incident “remains ongoing”.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Manchester, on Tuesday said the attack had been deliberately staged close to the site of the Manchester Arena bombing, which killed 22 people in 2017.

Police chiefs and politicians praised the officers’ actions in putting themselves at risk to save the couple and prevent the man, who was dressed in black, marauding through the station just before 9pm. He had been heard shouting Isil-inspired slogans during the attack and after his initial arrest on suspicion of attempted murder.

In the days before the New Year’s Eve attack, Isil had urged its followers to carry out a knife attack in the UK.

The British Transport Police officers had been patrolling the adjacent Victoria train station when they rushed to help the couple from Manchester who suffered multiple stab wounds. They used a Taser stun gun and “Captor gel”, an irritant designed to incapacitate suspects, in arresting the man.

The woman was stabbed in the face – suffering a “significant injury” to her forehead – while the man was wounded in the stomach. They are expected to remain in hospital for some time while the officer stabbed in the shoulder was discharged on Tuesday morning.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said: “My thoughts are with the couple who are still being treated in hospital for their serious injuries and with the brave British Transport Police officer who was also stabbed during the attack. We are treating this as a terrorist investigation which is being led by counter terrorism officers with support from Greater Manchester Police.”

This content was originally published here.